Saturday, July 20, 2013

Ignored (poem inspired by "To This Day")


Excerpt from Shane Koyczan's To This Day:
“…so broken heart strings bled the blues
as we tried to empty ourselves
so we would feel nothing
don’t tell me that hurts less than a broken bone
that an ingrown life
is something surgeons can cut away
that there’s no way for it to metastasize (it does)
…”
Ignored     
(Response to Shane Koyczan's poem To This Day):
I used to think that "shoved" and "loved" were the same thing,
I thought they were both “loved”
One day before I realized kids who are believers in health could have jelly beans held against them
I ate a jellybean.
A few hours later
the kids noticed the rainbow of colors on my face
and I earned my first nickname
jelly bean
to this day
I hate jellybeans
I'm not the only kid who grew up this way
surrounded by adults who used to think the so-called "HEALTHY" brands of jelly-beans helped kids learn to cooperate
as if the healthy brands helped with our social skills

he

was 7 when he joined our school
kids used to say that he cried like a two year old who had his bottle taken away
we became friends
fighting against lies that offended us or broke our hearts,
or just broke us completely
things got better
for me
only for me
kids continued to tease him 
because of a disorder 
that both gives him his brilliance and causes him to fall apart at the smallest imperfections
kids used to say
that he could cry like a two year old

she

was a girl with asthma
kids spoke sarcastically
​saying things like "asthma gal"
I saw her wince every time they said it

we could be the only kids who are growing up this way
unfortunately we aren't
there are hundreds of thousands of schools with this exact problem
and millions of kids that get teased 
and if your a bully
ask yourself why
why you choose to be the one who has hardly anybody actually wanting to be your friend
why you choose to tease

why?

and if you aren't able to help

just stop causing pain
give others the help of peace 
rather than feeling the power you get when you tease others
 you'll feel like you have power because you're on a team
and rather than people feeling like they are forced to help you
they'll be on your side rather than being one of your soldiers because they're afraid 
and if you can't find anything kind about yourself,
MAKE IT
because you were probably hurt once
but there's something strong inside your heart that made you keep fighting despite everyone who told you to stop.  
so let me ask you a question
if you were to learn that the world was going to end today...
how would YOU like to be remembered
as the bully or as the hero
or 
as the invisible one
probably as the hero
RIGHT?

No comments:

Post a Comment